Michael J. Lotito is the co-chair of the firm’s Workplace Policy Institute that provides advocacy services for clients, associations, and policy leaders on all workplace concerns. In addition, he practices all aspects of traditional labor relations, including matters arising under the National Labor Relations Act. He has extensive experience in advising clients how to combat the new technique of national and international corporate campaigns labor unions have used to increase their membership. Michael co-authored “Corporate Campaigns Globalize” for The Executive Counsel (August-September 2011). He spoke about the topic to the Association of Corporate Counsel 2011 Annual Conference.
Michael is one of the nation’s leading authorities on preventive strategies in the workplace. He has served as lead counsel for some of the country’s largest corporations, helping them develop and implement business, legal, and preventive strategic solutions to labor and employment issues. Michael regularly assists clients in conducting internal and external vulnerability assessments to create stronger organizations which also help to pre-empt union organizing.
He advises organizations on all matters affecting the employer-employee relationship such as conflict resolution, alternate dispute resolutions, and equal employment opportunity concerns. He has testified before the U. S. Senate and House of Representatives, as well as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. His testimony in July 2011 before the U. S. House Education and the Workforce Committee highlighted the need to eliminate rulemaking changes that would shorten the National Labor Relations Board election period. Michael has addressed other emerging workplace issues on behalf of a variety of trade associations submitting amicus briefs and extensive comments to proposed rules including those under the Labor Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA).
A former Chair of the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), he is recognized with a lifetime Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification. A noted speaker and presenter, Michael addresses an extensive variety of management groups including boards of directors, company executives, managers and supervisors, and trade association representatives. He has trained literally thousands of managers and supervisors over the course of his career. He has spoken before a wide variety of audiences throughout the U. S. and world, including Germany, Taiwan, and South Africa. He is frequently quoted in the media in such publications as The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Forbes, BusinessWeek, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Los Angeles Times, National Law Journal, Harvard Business Review, and major television and cable news programs. He has authored articles for many respected publications, including HR Magazine, Human Resources Executive, and ACC Docket, published by the Association of Corporate Counsel. His most recent thought leadership piece for the ACC Docket appeared in the April, 2012 edition which deals with the globalization of labor relations.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Member, Labor and Employment Case Selection Committee - National Chamber Litigation Center
- Member, Labor Relations Committee - U. S. Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Employee Benefits Committee - U. S. Chamber of Commerce
- Chair, Labor Relations Issues Sub-Committee, Tort and Insurance Practice Section - American Bar Association
- Vice-chair, Employment Law and Litigation Committee, Tort and Insurance Practice Section - American Bar Association
- Member, Society of Human Resource Management
- Former chair, Board of Directors
- Former chair, National Legislative Affairs Committee
- Member, Employee and Labor Relations Committee
- Former member, Board of Directors - Sterling Testing Systems
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, International Bar Association
- Former chair, Marin Catholic Board of Regents
- Named, Nations' Most Powerful Employment Attorneys - Top 100, Human Resource Executive / Lawdragon Inc., 2013
- Named, Vistage 200
- Recipient, Human Resource Alumnus of 20th Century, Human Resource Development Program - Villanova University
- Awarded, Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- Named, Management Labour and Employment – Who’s Who Legal
- Named, Super Lawyers - Northern California, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013