What is LGBTA - Littler Pride?
The group’s name, LGBTA: Littler Pride, not only represents attorneys and professional staff who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allies, but also asserts “pride” relating to the group’s personal and community identity. The goal of this group is to provide opportunities for members to network and discuss issues of interest both formally and informally.
From creating educational videos, writing articles, participating in speaking engagements, organizing group meetings, assisting in recruiting efforts and mentoring, to attending events that support the LGBT community and other causes, members are certainly involved in making an impact at Littler and beyond.
“It Gets Better”
In September 2010, syndicated columnist and author, Dan Savage, created a YouTube video with his partner, Terry, to inspire hope for young people facing harassment. In response to a number of students taking their own lives after being bullied in school, they created a personal way for supporters everywhere to tell LGBT youth that, yes, it does indeed get better. The It Gets Better Project™ has turned into a worldwide movement.
Littler participated in this movement by creating two It Gets Better videos, geared towards youth and professionals. The LGBTA: Littler Pride Affinity Group coordinated this project in which firm lawyers spoke up and participated in video messages, sharing their personal stories. Watch video
“Our GLBT Story” Video
“Coming out” on the job can be a challenge for many lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender legal professionals. In a very personal way, Littler shareholders tell their story in this video, and how critical this environment of inclusion has been to their careers as lawyers and the achievement of their professional goals. Watch video
Littler lawyers are involved with many legal and professional organizations across the country. A sampling of our past and present leadership roles include:
- American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana Lawyers Council
- American Law Institute-American Bar Association: Employee Benefits Advisory Panel
- Georgetown University: Adjunct Professor of Cross Cultural Management & Negotiations and Global Labor & Employment Law
- Governor's Task Force on Development of Model Domestic Violence Employee Awareness and Assistance Policies for Businesses
- Greater Rochester Area Women's Bar Association
- Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys
- Minnesota Lavender Law Association
- National Bar Association
- National LGBT Bar Association
- Orange County Lavender Bar Association