In the United States, the recreational use of marijuana is illegal at the federal level, but is legal in several states. In even more states, while medical marijuana is also federally illegal, there may be a duty to accommodate in relation to employee use of medical marijuana. In this interactive session, we will help navigate the intersecting laws relating to marijuana in the workplace, including:
- Defensible marijuana prohibitions/rules
- The legal framework affecting marijuana and the workplace
- Accommodating marijuana users
- Proving marijuana impairment
- Marijuana testing policies and whether/when/how to test for marijuana at all
- How should an organization’s drug policies/practices address cannabis possession and use in the workplace, especially in terms of safety, performance, attendance and discipline?
- Does an employer have a duty to accommodate employees who are medical cannabis users or claim a disability related to cannabis use?
- When and what kind of testing is permitted for cannabis use and impairment?
Registration: 8:30 - 9:00 am
Program: 9:00 - 10:00 am