What We Do
Littler’s Workplace Policy Institute® (WPI™) partners with the employer community to engage in legislative and regulatory advocacy efforts on issues that impact your workplace. We provide clients with unique insights into local, state and federal labor policy developments and work to affect workplace policies throughout the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government.
WPI and our business partners have overturned burdensome labor regulations governing overtime, government contracts and independent contractors. We have successfully advocated for clients embroiled in government investigations and litigation. WPI has impacted recent legislative initiatives dealing with joint employment, union elections and health insurance. WPI is also shaping the answers to future challenges by taking a prominent advocacy role in the growing fields of artificial intelligence, robotics and the gig economy.
What WPI Can Do For You
Littler’s WPI harnesses the deep experience, expansive resources and focused dedication of the global leader in labor and employment law. Our team of attorneys ensure that policymakers in Washington and around the country hear the voice of employers. The WPI team is well versed in international, national and state policy to help organizations understand, comply with and address the laws, regulations and policy decisions that affect the employer community. The members of WPI are here to serve you at the federal, state and international level regarding key labor and employment topics.
WPI Member Benefits
Through WPI, employers and associations have access to Littler’s more than 1,500 labor, employment and benefits attorneys. Join with WPI, and we can help you and your organization:
- Engage with key policymakers in Congress, the administration and relevant agencies
- Build coalitions with like-minded organizations to identify and respond to policy trends at the federal and state levels
- Coordinate advocacy efforts and issue campaigns at the state and local levels of government
- Understand the effect of the most complex policy developments
- Explain legislation, regulations and court rulings to your employees and/or members
- Address agency regulations and case decisions
- Provide testimony before Congress
- Prepare amicus briefs for court cases
- Draft official comments to executive agencies
- Produce white papers studies, and reports on issues important to your stakeholders
- Deliver live workshops and presentations at your conferences
- Direct access to WPI’s highly experienced attorneys for updates on:
- The status of federal and state legislation and regulations
- Cases pending before the Supreme Court
- Amicus briefs being considered (or that should be considered)
Webinars, Publications & More
As WPI members, your organization will have access to:
- Exclusive quarterly member-only webinars covering the latest developments on labor and employment policy issues
- WPI’s biannual insider briefings in Washington, D.C., where organizations hear from key policymakers and experts from every aspect of labor and employment law, at both the federal and state levels
- An annual, private webinar focused on the specific workplace policy concerns of your organization’s leadership
- One complimentary registration to Littler’s Executive Employer conference and one complimentary registration to the Regional Employer conference of your choice
- WPI’s Friday Wrap-Up – an email providing a summary of all the top issues that came out of Capitol Hill and the administration during the week, along with a round-up of Littler publications and a preview of upcoming legislative and regulatory activity
The Future of Work
The Emma Coalition
For years, organizations have been discussing, studying and making predictions about the effects of “technology-induced displacement of employees,” also referred to as TIDE. Despite all the attention on TIDE, there is no organization specifically devoted to helping employers and their workers prepare for it. Littler’s WPI, the National Restaurant Association and Prime Policy Group have developed the Emma Coalition to fill this glaring need. The Emma Coalition brings together the brightest minds among workers, industry groups, educational institutions and other private and public organizations to prepare the workforce for the coming TIDE through education, training and engagement with policymakers.
Learn About The Emma Coalition
Designed to help your organization with its employment and labor law compliance efforts, Littler Edge provides access to the best of the firm’s collective knowledge and experience, all in one location. Littler Edge includes:
- Littler GPS
Littler’s online database contains employment-related legislative and regulatory updates at the state and federal level, as well as 50-state and federal law-based surveys on over 80 employment law topics. GPS provides access to several surveys that cover local laws, such as paid sick leave, protected classes, scheduling laws, and equal pay and salary history laws, among others. Updated on an on-going basis, Littler GPS keeps users informed by sending email alerts with links that allow quick navigation to the new information. The tool also delivers concise, substantive analysis regarding how employers will be impacted, and, most important, how employers should comply.
- Reference manuals
The Littler On Series, which holds the collective knowledge of Littler attorneys, is a reference resource with practical advice to employers on a variety of topics. Titles are also available for each of the 50 states and are updated on a rolling basis.
- HR policy and document library
A searchable, comprehensive database of sample policies, template documents and checklists on everything from hiring through performance management, anti-discrimination, overtime and time off, to terminations and layoffs.
- Government forms and state legal guides
A full catalog of federal and state forms, including required workplace notices, posters and legal guides that can be sorted and streamlined to highlight the issues and jurisdictions that matter to your company.
- Littler news and analysis
Littler tracks and monitors the latest legal developments and publishes ASAPs and Insights on a near-daily basis.
Fastcase is a comprehensive law library that includes case law, statutes and regulations, court rules, constitutions and law review articles
- Global Guide
An online database designed to provide access to labor and employment law topics for over 30 countries on a jurisdiction-by-jurisdiction basis, Global Guide features side-by-side comparisons that highlight the similarities and distinctions between the jurisdictions. User-friendly functionality allows intuitive navigation, tailored to the jurisdictions selected by the user.