Joy N. Eakley is a member of the Littler CaseSmart® team and is based in South Carolina. As a brief writer assigned to single plaintiff litigation matters, she formulates and executes briefing strategy for cases. She evaluates and selects legal authority that supports the facts and circumstances of each case and prepares substantive briefs and motions, including complex dispositive motions, motions to compel arbitration, discovery motions and briefings concerning other strategic issues.
Joy has experience representing clients in a broad spectrum of employment disputes and general commercial litigation matters in both state and federal courts, as well as before administrative agencies. She has extensive experience counseling HR professionals and in-house counsel regarding compliance with federal, state and local employment laws, including:
- The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA)
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- The Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) and state mini-WARN Acts
- State and local wage and hour laws and paid sick leave laws
- Federal and state whistleblower laws
Prior to joining the legal profession, Joy worked in the entertainment industry. She remains actively involved in the arts.
*Not licensed to practice law in South Carolina.