A highly-skilled and successful litigator Jean L. Schmidt has successfully represented and counseled employers in all aspects of employment law for more than 20 years. Her litigation experience includes the successful defense of:
- An airline in claims involving race, age and disability discrimination
- A national manufacturing company against sex discrimination claims
- An insurance company in health benefit claims under ERISA
She also has represented technology companies, catalog companies, and IT service providers in disputes involving the enforcement of non-competition agreements, confidentiality agreements and non-solicitation agreements, including obtaining and defending against preliminary injunctions.
Jean owned her own business prior to receiving her law degree, which has made her particularly effective in understanding clients' businesses and helping them achieve their business goals in ways that minimize the risk of employment litigation and liability.
She provides counseling and advice to clients on a daily basis in all aspects of employment matters, including:
- Sexual harassment investigations
- Preparation of employment contracts
- Managing reductions-in-force
- Plant closings and the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- Title VII
- Other federal, state and local employment laws
Jean has lectured on a variety of employment law topics, including coordinating the Family and Medical Leave Act with the federal and state disability and workers compensation laws. She also conducts training seminars for supervisory and managerial employees on equal employment laws and sexual harassment and frequently serves as a program speaker for professional associations.
Jean began her legal career with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, was appointed the acting regional attorney in New York, and was the Commission's lead attorney in a nationwide class action sex discrimination law suit against a major food corporation.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors - Edwin Gould Services for Children and Families
- Named, Super Lawyer - New York, 2012