Almost every move an employer makes has tax implications. When a company drafts an employment contract with benefits, negotiates a collective bargaining agreement or terminates a worker, tax ramifications arise. Littler’s tax practice is devoted exclusively to employment and labor-related issues.
We help companies maneuver increasingly complex federal and state employment tax regulations, dealing with issues such as employers’ increased use of independent contractors and temporary workers.
Nationally recognized for our employment tax experience, we advise clients on the full range of issues that arise on a daily basis, including the tax implications of litigation settlements and jury awards, wage levies and garnishments, and proper withholding for expatriated employees with U.S. work visas. We represent clients before state agencies and the IRS and advise and represent employers regarding unemployment insurance claims.
Among the many other services we provide include the following:
- Defending against federal and state audits for employment-related taxes, including unemployment insurance taxes, income tax withholding, Social Security and Medicare taxes and state disability insurance taxes;
- Counseling on the proper status of workers as employees or independent contractors and drafting employment and independent contractor agreements;
- Providing due diligence on employment tax issues facing employers undergoing mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations;
- Working with foreign companies entering the United States to do business and hiring a new workforce;
- Reviewing and advising employers on the tax implications of various employer-provided benefits, such as transportation, meals and lodging, and gifts for employees; and
- Litigating employment tax disputes before the IRS, state administrative agencies and in state and federal court.
As part of the nation's largest employment and labor law firm, Littler's employment tax team has the resources and experience to handle the most difficult payroll tax issues facing employers. We work closely with the firm’s other practice groups to provide comprehensive, proactive advice to employers.