M. Scott McDonald has represented clients in all areas of employment and labor law for more than 20 years. He focuses specifically on:
- Employment contracts
- Wrongful termination litigation
- Unfair competition disputes and trade secret protection
Among his notable successes, Scott secured injunctions enforcing non-compete agreements in three consecutive cases involving quantitative analysts in the high frequency trading industry. He led teams in complex multi-jurisdictional disputes that resulted in the protection of millions of dollars of intellectual property. He has served as counsel for amicus curiae that successfully pursued arguments for the use of a new non-compete test and partial reversal of the Texas Supreme Court's interpretation of Texas law on non-compete agreements. In another precedent setting matter, he helped design a creative trade secret protection argument that established a new test for pre-lawsuit deposition actions in Texas.
Scott's practice involves, among others, a concentration of clients in the following industries:
Scott has written and contributed to numerous books and articles on employment law. He has been relied upon as a commentator on employment law subjects by both local and national media. He is a frequent speaker at employment law seminars, and has served as a guest lecturer at local universities and colleges.
In law school, Scott was chief note editor for The Review of Litigation.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Former Chair, Labor and Employment Law Section - Dallas Bar Association, 2000
- Member, Texas State Employee Relations Committee - Texas Association of Business
- Member, Advisory Committee - Metro Dallas YMCA Human Resources
- Member, American Law Institute
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, 2006-2013
- Named, Lawyer of the Year, Employment Law - Management, Dallas - Best Lawyers, 2013
- Named, International Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers - Who's Who Legal, 2012
- Named, America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Chambers USA, 2012
- Named, BTI's Client Service All-Star Team
- Awarded, Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- Selected, American Law Institute, 2010