Philip M. Berkowitz is the U.S. practice co-chair of Littler's International Employment Law Practice Group. He advises multinational and domestic companies in a wide range of industries on employment-related matters. He has significant experience advising multinational companies regarding U.S. and overseas employment and executive compensation practices. He represents employers in individual and class action lawsuits and arbitrations, and he appears in U.S. federal and state courts and before administrative agencies and international arbitration tribunals.
Philip handles all regulatory facets of employment law, including:
- Compliance with equal employment and other statutes governing the workplace
- Employee benefits
- Executive compensation
- Employment agreements
- Restrictive covenants
- Trade secrets
- Non-compete agreements
His diverse selection of clients includes companies in financial services, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals and chemicals, publishing, and fundraising.
A respected authority on international employment law issues, Philip conducts training worldwide on labor and employment matters. He is a frequent speaker before the American Bar Association, the International Bar Association, the Japan Society and other prominent international organizations. Philip is the chair of the Practising Law Institute’s (PLI) 2013 Annual International Employment Law Conference.
Philip previously worked as a partner and head of international employment law at a full-service international law firm.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Vice-chair, Employment Law Committee, International Law Section - American Bar Association
- Officer, Discrimination Law Committee - International Bar Association
- Former chair, International Law Practice Section - New York State Bar Association
- Founding chair, International Employment Law Committee - New York State Bar Association
- Member, Japan Society Corporate Advisory Council
- Member, Counsels' Council, Pro Bono Legal Advisory Committee - Lincoln Center
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2013
- Named, International Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers - Who's Who Legal, 2012
- Named, America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Chambers USA, 2005-2012
- Named, Who's Who of Management Labour and Employment Lawyers - Who's Who Legal, 2011