Peter J. Petesch handles a wide range of labor and employment matters, including litigation under:
- The Railway Labor Act
- The Americans With Disabilities Act
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- Title VII
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- AIR 21 – the Wendell H. Ford Aviation Investment and Reform Act for the 21st Century
He has successfully defended employers in individual and class-based cases before federal and state courts and agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the National Mediation Board, the Department of Justice, and the Department of Labor's Office of Administrative Law Judges.
Peter has more than 20 years of experience in representing employers in disability-related matters under both Titles I and III of the ADA, and he has taught webinars in both areas. He counsels, litigates and trains on leave issues and whistleblower matters under Sarbanes-Oxley. Peter often works with airlines, offering strategic advice on:
- Union avoidance
- Collective bargaining
- AIR 21 whistleblower claims
He also works with healthcare facilities and trade associations, as well as the hospitality, retail and service industries. Additionally, he represented a large human resources association as an amicus participant in four employment law cases before the Supreme Court.
Co-chair of Littler Mendelson's Transportation Industry Practice Group and a core member of the EEO and Leaves of Absence and Disability Accommodation Practice Groups, Peter has published numerous books and articles on the ADA and other employment issues for a variety of trade journals and has been quoted on labor and employment issues in the national media.
Prior to working at Littler, Peter was the managing partner of the Washington, D.C. office of another nationwide labor and employment firm.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Special Expertise Panel, Ethics / Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability - Society for Human Resource Management
- Member/ former co-chair, Business and Labor Partners Board, Business Responds to AIDS Program - U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Named, Top Rated Lawyer® - Transportation Law, The American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel, 2013
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, 2007-2013
- Named, Super Lawyer, 2013
- Awarded, Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- Recipient, National Business and Labor Award for Leadership on HIV/AIDS - U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention