(November 15, 2016) – Littler, the world’s largest employment and labor law practice representing management, is pleased to announce the launch of its Franchise Compliance Toolkit. The web-based toolkit is designed to help ensure compliance with state and federal laws in the franchisor/franchisee context.
“The franchise model creates unique challenges from an employment law perspective as franchisees often have limited resources to devote to managing compliance with constantly evolving labor and employment laws,” said Angelo Spinola, shareholder in Littler’s Atlanta office. “The toolkit provides quick, online access to tools that can be used to establish employment policies, procedures and practices and to help ensure compliance with applicable state and federal laws.”
Littler’s Franchise Compliance Toolkit was created by tapping into the vast experience of Littler lawyers who have counseled numerous clients in the franchisor/franchisee context on the legal aspects of hiring, compensating, managing and terminating employees. The toolkit distills this knowledge into a suite of materials, including template employment documents that can be customized to the user’s specific business model and live and recorded training sessions. Users log in to Littler’s Franchise Labor & Employment Resource Site, a website that provides easy access to tools to manage the full lifecycle of an employee, including:
- Onboarding Resources: Employment applications; criminal background check and Fair Credit Reporting Act materials; offer letters and arbitration agreements; and required state and federal hiring notices and posters; among other pre-hire and hiring materials.
- Continuing Employment Resources: Policies in such areas as overtime, minimum wage, dress code and cell phones; forms related to employee discipline, performance reviews and performance improvement plans, among other areas; time off and leave materials; and wage and hour materials, including timesheets and Fair Labor Standards Act exemption transition documents.
- End of Employment Resources: Termination letters; termination guidance, including guidance on wrongful discharge, reductions in force, and termination pay requirements; separation agreements; and required state and federal exit forms.
The toolkit also includes access to such resources as:
- 50-state surveys on background checks; medical marijuana; firearms in the workplace; wage and hour laws; discrimination and harassment laws; poster requirements; leaves laws including paid sick leave ordinances; and other areas of labor and employment law.
- Regular training sessions on current and developing areas of employment law provided by a dedicated team of experienced Littler attorneys.
Littler developed the toolkit as an extension of the Littler Home Care Toolkit, which provides informative guidelines, training materials and forms to assist home care employers in complying with state and federal rules.
The Littler Franchise Compliance Toolkit is part of Littler’s ongoing commitment to providing practical, innovative solutions to companies of all sizes across various industries. It follows the launch of the Littler Xmpt Toolkit earlier this year to help employers navigate changes to the U.S. Department of Labor’s “white collar” exemption overtime regulations. Littler’s commitment to innovation has drawn accolades from major organizations that recognize innovation in the delivery of legal services, including the Financial Times, National Law Journal, International Legal Technology Association, College of Law Practice Management and Fastcase 50.
Littler is the largest global employment and labor law practice, with more than 1,200 attorneys in over 75 offices worldwide. Littler represents management in all aspects of employment and labor law and serves as a single-source solution provider to the global employer community. Consistently recognized in the industry as a leading and innovative law practice, Littler has been litigating, mediating and negotiating some of the most influential employment law cases and labor contracts on record for over 70 years. Littler Global is the collective trade name for an international legal practice, the practicing member entities of which are separate and distinct professional firms.