External whistleblowers, government regulators, and private litigants increasingly identify and expose employee misconduct within public and private companies, universities, and nonprofit groups. The best defense against threats to your business is a deeply embedded culture of ethics and compliance, at the heart of which is an effective investigation system that allows you to decisively address and remedy problems at the source. And for baseless allegations, an investigation arms you with the necessary evidence to demonstrate compliance and move forward with confidence.
Internal investigation programs succeed when organizations thoughtfully build the function into their operational structure. Littler attorneys can enhance or establish your capabilities in this area by reviewing employers’ investigation functions, designing practical mechanisms, and developing investigation guidelines and escalation protocols to help create knowledgeable leadership oversight of the compliance program. We also offer training workshops for your investigators and other employees, helping to foster a robust culture of compliance.
If you prefer, we can lead the investigation on your behalf. Our professionals handle the most sensitive matters – from whistleblowing claims to allegations of sexual harassment or other misconduct by senior executives – with diplomacy and tact. Our extensive global network and connections allow us to bring in top specialized counsel to assist when needed.
Our suite of services includes:
- Risk assessments of internal investigation systems and resources.
- Legal advice and guidance during internal investigative matters.
- High-risk investigations of code of conduct issues (e.g., anti-bribery, fraud, financial malfeasance, theft, criminal misconduct, significant executive misconduct, misuse of confidential information, misuse of technology).
- Design and develop investigation systems that fit your business and compliance program, such as:
- Launching intake channels, reporting hotlines, and case management procedures
- Drafting and implementing investigation guidelines and templates
- Designing high-risk investigation protocols
- Crafting internal escalation definitions for leadership and for internal and external audit functions
- Compiling trends and key matter reports and analyses
- Reviewing, revising, and strengthening codes of conduct and related policies
- Creating internal compliance communications
- Training internal investigation personnel
Meeting your investigation needs, everywhere you conduct business
Littler’s leadership has made its mark on the investigations landscape. We have trained countless practitioners around the United States, not only through in-house coaching and our innovative Littler Learning Group offerings but at our premier annual conference, the Executive Employer®, which consistently features an investigations workshop tackling the most significant topics facing employers today.
Our deep experience and extensive footprint means that no matter where you have facilities or conduct operations, we can deploy experienced local counsel to spearhead investigations, review processes, or conduct trainings. We know your business and your local market and are well placed to coordinate multidistrict or national whistleblowing cases, should the need arise. Our comprehensive Littler GPS database also offers up-to-the-minute insights into legislative and regulatory developments across every jurisdiction.
“Effective investigations protect your organization and keep the engines running smoothly. We’ll be at your side with incisive insights and creative thinking based on our decades of investigations experience.”
– Kevin Griffith, co-chair, Whistleblowing, Compliance, and Investigations Practice Group