Mexico: New Immigration Fees for 2018

Mexico’s Ministry of Interior recently adjusted the fees for immigration applications and processes that are effective in 2018.  The new fees were published by the National Institute of Migration (“Instituto Nacional de Migración”).   

The following list identifies the new fees for the most important immigration applications and processes:

Renewal of the migratory document:1 

Mexican pesos

  1. One year


  1. Two years


  1. Three years


Permanent Resident Card:2 


Change of condition:3




Exit permit:5


Work permit:6


Reposition (or replacement) of the migratory document:7


The full list of fees is available at the National Institute of Migration’s website:

Our attorneys are available for any advice or assistance employers may need concerning this specific topic or Mexico’s labor and employment law in general.


See Footnotes

1 The “migratory document” evidences a foreigner’s legal residence in Mexico.  The “renewal” application seeks to extend the length of the legal residence.

2 The “permanent resident card” evidences a foreigner’s legal permanent residence in Mexico obtained under one of three conditions: the foreigner (1) completed four years of residence in Mexico; (2) has been married to a Mexican citizen for two years; or (3) has a child born in Mexico.

3 A “change of condition” application seeks to change the foreigner’s immigration status or basis for being authorized to remain in Mexico.  For example, the change may be from a tourist status to a temporary resident, or from a temporary resident to a permanent resident.

4 “Regularization” is known as the process through which a foreigner obtains “legal immigration status” in Mexico.  It typically is needed when a foreigner remained in Mexico without authorization or beyond the limits established by their initial migratory document.  It also may be needed if the foreigner has been performing unauthorized activities (such as working without a work permit).

5 The “exit permit” allows the foreigner to exit and reenter the country, even while having a process pending before the National Institute of Migration. 

6 The “work permit” evidences a foreigner’s authorization to work, tied to a temporary residence and an offer for employment.

7 This application allows the foreigner to replace the migratory document if it has been lost or stolen.

Information contained in this publication is intended for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or opinion, nor is it a substitute for the professional judgment of an attorney.