Ira D. Wincott represents and counsels clients in a range of labor and employment matters, with particular emphasis in complying with the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), and advising on day to day workplace issues. He has extensive experience before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) defending and filing unfair labor practice charges and representing clients when faced with representation petitions. Ira has an extensive practice representing licensed home care services agencies and fiscal intermediaries in all aspects of labor and employment law. His focus encompasses:
- Advising and representing employers in union avoidance strategies, during union organizing campaigns and elections, in addition to strategies required in potential successor employer situations
- Guiding employers through collective bargaining and labor arbitrations
- Devising labor objectives and strategies for clients
- Drafting employment agreements, handbooks, and policies
- Counseling clients and human resource professionals with day to day workplace issues and defending employment discrimination cases
- Defending clients in wage and hour litigation (individual and class actions)
He practices before all New York federal, state and local courts, as well as various federal, state and local labor and employment agencies, including the NLRB, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the New York State Division of Human Rights, the New York City Commission on Human Rights, Department of Labor (DOL), Department of Health (DOH), the Office of Medicaid Inspector General (OMIG) and the New York State Attorney General.
Ira’s former experience as general counsel to a large labor union and as counsel to its funds for nine years allows him to provide clients with a unique perspective when dealing with labor relations issues. That experience included the filing and/or conducting of 1000 labor arbitrations, collective bargaining, and preparation of collective bargaining agreements, appearing before the NLRB on 400 matters involving a wide variety of issues and arbitrating and litigating Fund matters as counsel to the Union’s various affiliated Funds.
Besides his vast experience in the retail and wholesale food industry, Ira has an extensive practice representing employers in the home healthcare industry in all phases of labor and employment issues, including educating employers in union organizing strategies and labor relations issues with unionized employers. With respect to employment issues, Ira has experience in keeping healthcare clients educated, updated and in compliance with the ever-changing rules and regulations in healthcare, which includes wage and hour issues, wage parity and handling audits. Ira’s other clients include retailers, manufacturing companies, car dealerships, school bus operators, and property managers.