Update – Postponement Due to COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Outbreak
The organisation of the Belgian social elections has been impacted by the coronavirus outbreak and adopted measures in that regard. The Social Partners agreed on the collective suspension of the election procedure until a date yet to be determined and which should take place in the fall. The specific modalities of the suspension are described in the Opinion n° 2160 of 24 March 2020 of the National Labour Council.
The main modalities are the following:
- The suspension starts on X + 36
- All election formalities until X + 35 must be completed (namely the submission of the lists). All operations and decisions until X + 35 remain definitively acquired
- A new election period will be determined (in place of 11 – 24 May 2020) and the employers will have to establish a new elections calendar
- Consultation bodies must continue to operate
- Special protection against dismissal continues to apply for candidates, with some exceptions