After more than 25 years in legal practice and 10 years of additional prior experience, Michael N. Salveson has accumulated considerable knowledge of disability and workers' compensation issues and focuses solely on the representation of employers in those areas. He has handled thousands of workers compensation matters before the Virginia Workers' Compensation Commission and the Virginia Court of Appeals. He is considered one of the leading workers' compensation defense lawyers in Virginia.
Additionally, Michael provides advice and counseling to employers and claims personnel regarding all aspects of the workers' compensation law and the claims process, including:
- Initial determinations of compensability
- Benefit terminations
- Settlement analysis and negotiation
- Closure strategies for old or troublesome claims
- Statutory interpretation
- Compensability of particular medical expenses
- Vocational rehabilitation issues
- All types of policy and administrative issues
Michael works with both public and private employers, particularly in the following industries:
- Public education
- Commercial aviation
- Property management
He also represents unionized and non-unionized workforces and public school districts.
Michael is a member of Littler Mendelson's Workers' Compensation Core Practice Group. Prior to joining Littler, he was counsel at a large, general practice law firm in Virginia. Before earning his law degree, he worked as a claims representative and as a senior appeals analyst for the Social Security Administration in Albany, New York and in Arlington, Virginia.
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, 2013
- Awarded, Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating