With extensive state and federal employment tax expertise, GJ Stillson MacDonnell has successfully handled numerous employment tax audits and litigation against the Internal Revenue Service, the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board, and the California Employment Development Department.
GJ handles all aspects of employment tax matters, including Independent contractor status under tax and other laws. She often works with housekeeping referral services and has specific knowledge of:
- The Internal Revenue Code
- The California Unemployment Insurance Code
- The Employee Retirement Income Security Act
She also frequently speaks on employment tax matters in professional and industry educational forums.
Founder and former chair of the Employee Benefits Practice Group, she serves as the current chair of the Employment Taxes Practices Group. Prior to joining Littler Mendelson, she worked in private practice in Connecticut and served as pension counsel for a major insurance company's group pension division. She also has extensive experience representing various non-profits on social issues before the Connecticut legislature.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Member, Executive Committee, Tax Section - Bar Association of San Francisco
- Former chair, Employment Taxes Committee, Tax Section - American Bar Association, 2004-2006
- Former vice-chair, Employment Taxes Committee, Tax Section - American Bar Association, 2002-2004
- Member, American Payroll Association
- Advisor, Connecticut Commission on the Status of Women
- Co-founder/legal advisor, YMCA Hartford Rape Crisis Center
- Elected fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2006
- Recipient, Bar Association of San Francisco Award of Merit, 1998