Edward F. Berbarie represents and advises clients in a wide range of employment and traditional labor related matters, including:
- Drafting and enforcing arbitration agreements
- Claims of discrimination and harassment
- Wage and hour disputes
- The Fair Labor Standards Act
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- Union grievances and unfair labor practice charges
- Covenants not to compete and unfair competition
Edward is board certified in labor and employment law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, and he has significant experience in representing and advising clients in complex commercial disputes.
Edward is one of the firm’s subject matter experts in the field of employment arbitration agreements and a core member of Littler’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Group. A large part of his practice is devoted to drafting and enforcing arbitration agreements and arbitrating labor and employment matters. He has argued arbitration enforcement issues in state and federal courts across the country, including appellate and state supreme courts. He was counsel for petitioner in a case involving arbitration enforcement issues that was successful before the U. S. Supreme Court. He frequently writes and speaks on arbitration topics, including the latest developments in arbitration law.
Edward has defended clients in all types of cases from single-plaintiff matters to collective actions. He has obtained complete defense verdict and summary judgments in various cases, such as:
- Federal whistleblower claims
- Defamation claims
- Federal and state and wage hour violations
- Discrimination, harassment and retaliation claims
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations
Additionally, Edward has successfully defended management numerous times against grievances and unfair labor practice charges filed by unions.