Dionysia Johnson-Massie is a litigator who focuses her practice on federal employment discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wage-hour litigation and strategic compliance issues, including matters arising under:
- Title VII and Section 1981
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- The Family and Medical Leave Act
- The Fair Labor Standards Act
She also has defended clients against state law defamation, intentional interference with business relationships, assault and battery, and false imprisonment claims.
Dionysia uses a combination of legal skills and business acumen to offer her clients creative and cost-effective strategies that minimize exposure to a myriad of legal risks. She regularly provides advice and counsel on the practical and legal implications of everyday employment decisions.
Through mediations, arbitrations, or summary judgment motions, she effectively resolves difficult and complex “bet the company” matters. She also has unique expertise handling religious accommodation matters for employers in a variety of industries and promotion and tenure issues for educational institutions.
A dynamic presenter on employment law topics, Dionysia has conducted numerous training sessions for clients and presented to business associations and organizations, including the Atlanta and American Bar Associations, Corporate Counsel Association, Minority Corporate Counsel Association, Corporate Counsel Women of Color, Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), and other legal and human resources organizations throughout the country. She has authored a number of articles and papers and has been quoted in national and local publications regarding employment law issues.
Dionysia has experience representing and counseling the following types of clients:
- Financial services
- Consumer services
- Higher education
- Religious organizations
- Public sector
In addition to serving on Littler Mendelson's Board of Directors, Dionysia is co-chairperson of the firm’s Diversity and Inclusion Council and of the Women's Leadership Team. She is a member of the firm's National Recruitment and Governance committees and formerly served as the hiring shareholder for the Atlanta office.
Previously, Dionysia worked with another labor and employment boutique in Atlanta and also served as a general counsel for another entity.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Columnist, “Legal Smarts,” Atlanta Tribune, The Magazine
- Assistant Secretary, Board of Directors - Big Bethel Towers, Inc.
- Member, Board of Directors - Atlanta Legal Diversity Consortium
- Steward, Board of Directors - Bethel A.M.E. Church
- Member, Chart Your Own Course Foundation
- Member, Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Member, Minority Corporate Counsel Association
- Member, National Employment Law Council
- Member, Georgia Association of Black Women Attorneys
- Member, Georgia Association of Women Lawyers
- Member, Nordstrom’s Scholarship Board (Southeast Region)
- Selected, Member - Leadership Atlanta Class of 2012
- Selected, "Sweet 16" Women Leaders Changing Atlanta, 2011
- Named, Super Lawyer - Georgia, Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition, 2008
- Selected, Fellow - Litigation Counsel of America, 2008
- Named, Super Lawyer - Georgia, 2004-2007