Christopher E. Cobey has handled a broad range of employment matters, including:
- Wrongful termination cases
- Breach of contract disputes
- Race, gender, age and disability discrimination and harassment lawsuits
- Wage and hour class actions
Chris has extensive litigation experience trying cases to verdict or judgment in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement. He has specific experience with claims arising under:
- Title VII
- The Americans with Disabilities Act
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act
- The California Fair Employment and Housing Act
He also represents clients in binding arbitration.
In addition, Chris briefs and advises clients regarding compliance with applicable state and federal employment and other workplace laws. As a member of the firm’s Workplace Policy Institute team, he monitors developing California legislation and regulations, alerting clients to opportunities to shape proposed policy, not simply react to it once it has been enacted. For many years, he has authored Littler’s annual summary of California’s new employment laws affecting private sector employers.
Chris also conducts training sessions and has presented at bar association seminars on current employment law topics. His past and current clients include hotels, cities, retail establishments, law firms, lobbying associations, and food products manufacturers and distributors.
Among his other community activities, Chris serves as a presider and scorer for California high school mock trial scrimmages, county competitions, and state finals.
Prior to working at Littler Mendelson, Chris worked in private practice and as a deputy district attorney in Los Angeles and San Mateo counties. In law school, he authored a comment published in the University of California, Davis Law Review.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section - American Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Law Section - State Bar of California
- Member, Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Member/ former chair, Section on Labor and Employment Law - Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Member/ former president, Executive Board - William A. Ingram American Inn of Court
- Member, Section on Labor and Employment Law - San Mateo County Bar Association
- Former member, Board of Directors - San Mateo County Bar Association
- Former mayor/ council member, Town of Atherton, California
- Former member, Civil Service Commission - San Mateo County
- Awarded, Martindale-Hubbell AV® Peer Review Rating
- Named, Super Lawyer in employment litigation - Northern California