Amy R. Alpern focuses primarily on litigation and has tried numerous employment cases, including claims involving breach of employment contract, sexual harassment, race discrimination, disability discrimination and non-competition agreements. She has also arbitrated disputes on nearly every type of employment claim.
She practices in federal and state courts, as well as before the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries and has specific experience with:
- Title VII
- The Unlawful Trade Practices Act
- State of Oregon common law and statutory law regarding employment matters
She works predominately with clients in sales, retail and the automotive industry.
Amy serves as the Portland office representative for Littler Mendelson's Women's Initiative. Before joining the firm, she served as a deputy district attorney for Multnomah County, where she tried over 100 jury cases and second chaired a murder trial. She then worked for a law firm in Portland, where her practice emphasized litigation of employment discrimination, wrongful discharge, and breach of contract claims. She was a shareholder at another firm where she focused exclusively on litigation.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS
- Legal Aid Volunteer, Domestic Violence Project
- Fundraiser, Campaign for Equal Justice
- Former chair, Professional Responsibility Board - Oregon State Bar, 2007
- Former Region 5 Chair, Disciplinary Board - Oregon State Bar, 2001
- Former member, Disciplinary Board - Oregon State Bar, 1997-2000
- Former member, Editorial Review Board - Oregon Labor Letter , 1995-2000
- Arbitrator, Multnomah County, 1992-Present
- Former member, Board of Directors - Multnomah Bar Association, 1994-1997
- Former program director, Gus J. Solomon American Inn of Court, 1993-1998
- Member, Judicial Screening Committee, 1992-1997
- Mentor, Multnomah Bar Association, 1999-present
- Former chair, Judges Committee - National High School Mock Trial Competition, 1990
- Former member, Board of Directors - Circle of Life Daycare, 1997-2000
- Fundraiser, Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Named, The Best Lawyers in America, 2011-2013
- Named, America's Leading Lawyers for Business - Chambers USA, 2011 and 2012